The Open e-IRG Workshop in on 20-21 May 2019 will take place in Geneva, Switzerland at:
Esplanade des Particules 1
Access to CERN (Registration for the Worksghop is closed))
After your registration for the workshop, you also must register yourself through the CERN Indico system in order to get access to CERN (See: instructions on pdf). At the CERN Indico system you can also sign up for:
- A group tour on Monday morning to visit the Datacenter and the Antiproton Decelerator experiment, starting from 10-12 hrs. Please notice that places are limited to a maximum of 48 people, first come - first served. The visit starts at 10.00 and it would be good to be there at least 10 minutes before. We will meet at the ground floor of building 513 (connected to building 31) and split into two groups. If you arrive on Monday morning, the CERN shuttle leaves the main building 500 (not the entrance) at 09:18 and arrives at the restaurant 2 at 09:22. This is the last "morning" shuttle https://smb-dep.web.cern.ch/en/ShuttleService/Circuit_1.
If you can not join the group tour, there is a possibility to visit our two permanent exhibitions. Unfortunately, it is not possible to visit the Large Hadron Collider (LHC).
- To register for attending a BBQ dinner on Monday evening, paid by the local organisers (P.S. lunch is on own expenses).
Please download the mobile app MapCERN to your phone. It is free and very convenient to use.
- Reception during the day to pick up your access badge is in Building 33 (before entering CERN between entrance A and B). We advise you to arrive well in advance as there maybe a queue. Opening hours 08:00 to 17.45 weekdays.
- If you arrive on Sunday or at night to stay at one of the CERN hostels by taxi, you may have to receive the key and badge from Building 55 near the car entrance B. The taxi should be able to enter inside to get the person in the hostel (so you stop get your badge/key) and continue with the taxi to the hostel (as it is not so close to the entrance).
- e-IRG Workshop is in Building 31-3-004 - IT Amphitheatre, about 15 minutes walk from the reception Building 33.
- The dinner location is in Restaurant 2 close to the Workshop venue (need to register at the Indico system).
Power adapter type J
Don't forget to bring a power adapter Type J (Swiss standard) https://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plugs-and-sockets/j/
How to get to CERN
From Geneva International Airport at Cointrin
- Taxi: approximately 35 CHF.
- Public transport: First take a free public transport ticket from the machine you will find in the baggage collection hall, just before customs control. Then you can take bus 23, 28 or 57 and get off at "Blandonnet" and then catch tram 18, final stop "CERN".
See the TPG web site for full details.
From Geneva railway station at Cornavin (Gare Cornavin)
- Public transport: take tram 18 to "CERN", which is the final stop. Ticket costs 3 CHF (Ticket "Tout Genève" on the ticket machine).
See the TPG web site for full details.
Address: 1, Esplanade des Particules, Meyrin, Switzerland
Reception: Lat: 46.233058, Long: 6.055692
From the Swiss side
Follow "Aeroport", "Lyon" or "Meyrin". When in Meyrin head for "St. Genis" (which is just across the border in France). Before you get to St. Genis, CERN is on the left hand side of the "Route de Meyrin", just before the border crossing.
From the French side
Follow "Gex" or "St. Genis". When in St. Genis head for the border. CERN is on your right hand side immediately after the border crossing.
CERN hostel: A block reservation for max. 80 people has been made for participants who want to stay at CERN, but each person would have to book and pay individually.
The booking can be made until 01.04.2019 (first come first served).
Please use this Registration form
The reception CERN Hostel is in Building 39
See booking.com or other booking sites.